Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stockholm is the home to Ikea

Stockholm is a true beauty. Swedish are generally happy people, the up-spirit you cannot miss when you are there. If not for the weather, it is actually quite a relaxing place to chill and stroll. At a temperature of -14 degree Celsius, I can still imagine the fresh air, the greens and rivers thawed come summer.  But beware, eating out is not an option if you are on a budget. Blame it on the exchange rates I think, as things get ridiculously priced. There's always a way out though. Travel to the outskirts like where Ikea is situated for sanely-priced meatballs and hotdogs. Or get the ugliest-looking bread in supermarts, I was utterly surprised.




Morning greeted with a smile at Gamla Stan. An inverted one.


Heartening Cappuccino.


Cardamom-spiced wheat bun, milk and almond paste filled, with enormous artery-clotting whipped. 
Swedish Semla.


Get yourself educated at the Nobel Musuem. 


Even scooters love the snow.


How can anyone miss the world's biggest Ikea?




Ikea is not just about the big furnishings.




Food. Food. Food. The number of times we ate there.


Chomp!


Meatball with lingonberry sauce is the analogue to Ikea. And they serve lingonberry juice!



Pretty Stockholm. Hello again.



Often in the media, weekend trips in Europe are advertised as "getaways". Is life so distasteful that we are constantly in search of an exit, I wonder?