Wednesday, March 16, 2011

British Museum - Rediscovering Civilisations

I need to go back to the museum again. The fact that the British Museum is free doesn't mean that it is substandard. On the contrary, the place is colossal and there are simply too many things to see and discover.  They are serious about telling their stories, making every visitor yearning for more knowledge. As we should have learnt, history is about interpretation, and behind every artifact therein lies a story, which could be sensational or downright uninteresting. The musuem is tastefully organised, and the displays have been carefully assembled to engage our minds and senses. I hadn't been through the European and American galleries yet as I was entirely drawn to the way the British tell their side of the story for the Chinese and Greek ones. Too intriguing.


Hinduism and Buddhism. Figurines overwhelmed.


The Shiva Kick.

Majulah Singapura?

Hee Hah!

Mini-Buddha.


弥勒佛. 


Chinese hell notes. "Chinese" hell notes. This is really intriguing.

There was an "Enlightenment" Room with an in-awe aura as one enters. Great use of spatial illusion. 



And the Greeks were always headless.



And I saw many on sketch-pads. If I could draw, I would also be in a corner spending hours (re)inventing compositions. If I could.That's if.